Tuesday 28 October 2008

THE WAY OF THE SWORD



















Introducing Celebrity Samurai Guest Blogger, Frank Ronin




Why hello regular Baklava readers, I'm going to be standing in for a few days as Emma is a little bit too can't-be-arsed.

Sometimes I find myself standing, silent, in the garden, I do, saying to myself "Frank, what on earth is that swishing noise?". Turns out of course it's the sound of a samurai sword, gently, tumblingly, making its way through the artichoke patch. 

Gardeners often talk about their preference for certain tools, but I can assure you a samurai sword is like having Felcos, long-handled pruners and a Flymo rolled into one. There's simply no substitute. 

But it's not easy to learn to use the samurai sword in the garden. It's a subtle weapon, and must be used with great thought. Mastering it means applying yourself to the ultimate discipline: the way of the warrior. You must transcend your own limitations. Only then is the circle completed. 

I probably most of all recommend it this time of year for a spot of hacking back the yew hedge. This is a job which must be done, of course, as autumn presses ever onward. I can also use it skilfully to carve a suitable tulip-sized hole, then toss a bulb in from the clever Japanese-style storage on my back, obviating the need to bend down. 

And if anyone's gardening opinions ever really annoy me, I can just hack them to bits and bury them under a new patio or other outdoor seating area. Say, if someone were to repeatedly go on, and on, and on about how much they didn't understand why anyone read my column? Oopsidaisy, swish slash and there you go. 

Anyway I'll be back again soon with more of my winsome gardening thoughts. Ta-ra! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely to meet you.
Do tell me, can a samurai sword be used to tickle the soil?
Anonjan cat mother

Anonymous said...

As my learned friend Anonjan cat mother said 'Lovely to meet you' (hands together as if in prayer and deep bow).
The samurai sword sounds much more sophisticated than the machete favoured in our household although somehow one never has it to hand when it is needed. A machete is no good for tickling!

VP said...

Ha - taking a swipe at a number of your blogging buddies I see ;)

Ta-ra's very brummie you know.